This is a rare collection of banknotes from the Hemel Hempstead bank, also known as Grover & Pollard.
Harry Grover established the bank in 1809 off the back of his successful law practice. He lived in The Bury and owned a 16-acre estate that included much of Gadebridge Park.
The proof £1 note is printed on India paper in black and white, with a classical frieze at the centre and Britannia on the left and right. At that time, banknotes were only printed on one side and were invalid until signed on the face by one of the partners. The engraving is by Perkins, Fairman and Heath.
After Grover's death, new partners were found and notes were issued under the names of William Smith and Edmund Fearnley Whittingstall of Langleybury House.
The bank operated until 1856, when it ceased trading, after a 17-year-old clerk stole about £1,300, a huge sum in those days.